Disabled activists have explained why they took to the streets around parliament to protest at the government’s latest cuts to disability benefits.The protest, organised by Disabled People Against Cuts (DPAC) and the Mental Health Resistance Network (MHRN), brought traffic to a standstill outside the Houses of Parliament on Tuesday, a day before the spring budget.It was sparked by fresh cuts to personal independence payment (PIP) that were announced last month by work and pensions secretary Damian Green, following two tribunal rulings, and which will particularly impact on people with mental health conditions.A Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) equality impact assessment found that an estimated 164,000 claimants will either lose all of their eligibility for the PIP mobility component or see it reduced, as a result of the cuts.Another 1,500 disabled people who need support to take medication and monitor a health condition will either lose all of their PIP daily living payment or see it cut.During the protest, activists – and Labour’s new shadow minister for disabled people, Marie Rimmer – posed for pictures in front of parliament with a “#ToryCutsKill” banner.Scores of disabled people then marched around Parliament Square chanting “no more deaths from benefit cuts”, before staging a sit-in roadblock.Many of those who joined Tuesday’s action were protesting at the cumulative impact of years of cuts to disability benefits and other support, and its often fatal impact on disabled people.The latest cuts came only three months after the UN’s committee on the rights of persons with disabilities found the UK government’s social security reforms had caused “grave or systematic violations” of disabled people’s rights.Paula Peters, from DPAC and MHRN, said the PIP cuts were “an ideologically-designed policy designed to remove support from us” and that the government had “blood on their hands” and “need to be put in the dock for the deaths of disabled people”.She told protesters: “Raise your voices in anger. This has got to stop.”MHRN activist Roy Bard said the latest cuts showed the government had “no respect for the United Nations and no respect for disabled people”, and warned that they would lead to more “distressed and traumatised people… on the streets of our cities and towns”.He disputed the government’s claim that people with mental health conditions were more likely to receive the support they needed under PIP than under disability living allowance (DLA), the benefit it is replacing for working-age claimants.He said: “That’s not our experience. Our experience is that people who had been on DLA with mental health issues for a long time suddenly find themselves on zero points when they come to their first PIP assessment.“The people who are the most isolated, the most vulnerable, are the ones who are losing out at the moment.”Denise McKenna, MHRN’s co-founder, told Disability News Service: “People are living very close to the edge at the moment and they can’t afford any more cuts.“The government are getting rid of the welfare state and they don’t care who lives or dies.“In the context of a huge assault that has been going on for several years now, these are particularly nasty. It’s particularly aimed at people with mental health problems.”Another disabled protester, Jamie McCormack, said: “If you are going to have a prime minister talking about equality, talking abour parity of esteem [between mental and physical health], then you had better match it up with actions.”He said he had wanted to attend the protest on behalf of friends with mental health problems who could not be there, and to be “the voice of the voiceless”.Disabled campaigner Faisal Yusuf said: “Are they politicians or are they barbers? Benefits are not a person’s hair that they keep cutting.“They say they are going to support people with learning disabilities but then they cut the benefit.“My message to the government is: ‘Stop with the cuts.’ To them it might be some sort of benefit, but to people with learning disabilities it is their lives.”Richie Boakye said he and his friends were there to “speak up for ourselves”.He said: “The government taking money from disabled people is wrong. They shouldn’t cut our money because we have a disability. Our money is important.”Martin Doyle added: “I am only here because I don’t like the way they are cutting all the benefits. I think it’s disgraceful.“Like Richie, I think we are all entitled to our money, full stop.”He added: “I am worried about what is going to happen in the future. If they are going to cut our benefits, what else are they going to cut? Our self-respect?”John Wood, who receives disability living allowance, said he was already struggling with his bills, even though he had not yet been reassessed for PIP.He said the latest cuts were “disgraceful”.Victoria Lopez said she had wanted to attend the protest because of the disabled people who had died as a result of the government’s welfare reforms.She said: “One person is too many, and that is what we are saying, and they are not being held accountable. People should not be dying. How is that right?“My hope is that we are listened to.”She said she hoped the government would think again on the imminent cuts of nearly £30 a week for new claimants placed in the work-related activity group (WRAG) of employment and support allowance, and that it would scrap the work capability assessment.She said she had wanted to attend the protest even though she knew that it meant she would be “paralysed” the next day because of her impairment.Another disabled protester, Rona Topaz, said she feared that the government would eventually “try to abolish PIP altogether”.She said that although the current cuts did not affect her personally, she was “here to show solidarity with people who are affected by these cuts.“I believe they are ideological, they are unnecessary, and they are specifically meant to demoralise the weakest and most vulnerable claimants of PIP.”Ariane Sacco, from the disabled women’s organisation WinVisible, said that women with mental health problems who were part of the network were “alarmed” at the latest PIP cuts.Rimmer (pictured, talking to Bard), Labour’s new shadow minister for disabled people, said the PIP changes had been “sneaked through”, and that while the government had promised “parity of esteem” for mental health service-users, the new cut to PIP “flies in the face of parity of esteem”.She added: “When [the government] have a chance to do something about parity of esteem between mental health and physical health, what do they do? They throw it away.”She said: “They are dismantling every support service we have. To attack disabled people in this manner is absolutely unforgiveable.”Rimmer, a disabled person herself, told DNS that the latest cuts would “shove more and more people into poverty”.She added: “It’s their means of getting out and about. They are going to be sanctioned into their own homes. It really is inexcusable.“The key message is they should restore it, treat disabled people as human beings and help them to live a life and be included in society.”She said the government was “absolutely not” doing that at the moment, but instead was “throwing them by the wayside”.Rimmer pointed out that the UK had been the first to be criticised through a UN inquiry for “grave or systematic violations” of the disability convention.Jonathan Bartley, co-leader of the Green party, who was also at the protest, accused the government of “moving the goalposts when it suits them” on PIP eligibility, and “over-turning the will of the courts”.He said the latest cuts were “continuing to imprison more disabled people within their homes”.And he said they would “segregate” and “remove disabled people from the public consciousness” and make it even harder for them to protest about the cuts they were facing.
The Department of Public Works has painted some of the walls in the city – including one in the southwestern part of the 16th Street Plaza – with with a special coating that deflects liquid, to prevent people from peeing on them. We headed over there to see what people think of this new innovation. Tags: 60 seconds Share this: FacebookTwitterRedditemail,0% 0% Some walls in the city have been painted with a special coating that deflects liquid, to prevent people from peeing on them. One of these walls in in the southwestern half of the 16th Street Plaza, and we headed over there to see what people think of this new innovation.Video by Emma Neiman and Laura Wenus.
A fire broke out on the top floor of a residential-over-commercial building in Potrero Hill on Wednesday afternoon, though it was quickly extinguished and no injuries were reported.The two-alarm fire struck 2212 19th St. near Vermont Street at around 2:45 p.m., according to Jonathan Baxter, the Fire Department spokesperson.“Fire was visible and active from the top floor and roof,” he said, adding that the department received multiple phone calls about the fire because it was visible from both the 101 and 280 freeways and sent up plumes of smoke that could be seen city-wide.By 3:20 p.m. firefighters had controlled the blaze. Tags: Fires • housing • potrero hill Share this: FacebookTwitterRedditemail,0% Two residents of the single unit upstairs — a married couple with two dogs — were displaced by the fire. Their unit, which occupies the entire top floor, suffered extensive smoke, water, and fire damage, particularly to the rear corner, Baxter said.The residents’ two poodles, meanwhile, were safe in a neighbor’s back yard – “Looks like we’ll be taking care of those two poodles for a little while,” the neighbor said.Staff at a dental office downstairs were also displaced from their workplace due to extensive water damage there. Some seven employees there and a few patients evacuated when someone knocked on their office door and told them the roof was on fire.“All we know is someone ran up to our door and told us that there was a fire,” said Kendra Wood, a dental assistant who works in the building. 0% View of Potrero Hill Fire from 8th and Townsend #PotreroHill #sf #fire @abc7newsbayarea pic.twitter.com/EBGVNi3giY— $t€ph@ni€ (@BettyBooze) September 21, 2016
SAINTS Superstore has everything you need to kit yourself out for the Grand Final.2014 Home and Away Replica Shirts are available at just £20 whilst we also have a range of trainingwear in stock too.And there’s a range of matchday products including scarves, beanie hats, flags, car products, face paints and hooters.Other specific Grand Final 2014 products are also available in store in limited numbers!To buy pop into the Superstore at Langtree Park or log on to www.saintssuperstore.com
LAST week a team of 14 cyclists and their support arrived back in St Helens as they completed their grueling cycle from Amsterdam to St Helens having covered over 320 miles, writes Callum Hesketh.The challenge, in aid of St Helens Autism Support, saw the cyclists take in the historic towns of Arnhem and Nijmegen before heading to Rotterdam to catch the overnight ferry to Hull.Straight from the ferry the team headed to Castleford to meet Saints supporters heading to the fixture against the Tigers before arriving at Leeds City. The last day to St Helens was over The Pennines which meant steep climbs which combined with torrential rain and wind just added to the test for everybody involved.All completed their task and where met by supporters at The Gerard Arms late Sunday afternoon for well-earned refreshments. The endeavors of all will boost the Charity’s coffers by more than £ 3,000St. Helens Autism Support is a registered charity started in February 2013. Its aim is to raise funds and awareness of Autism and the implications of the condition, and to support initiatives that will improve life chances for people diagnosed with the condition in the St Helens area.In addition to awareness, the main aim of the charity this year is to raise funds towards a resource centre to hopefully provide education, training and social facilities for the benefit of individuals diagnosed on the autism spectrum and their carers.Barry Ford, Brian Wellens, Chris Hayes, Chris Joynt, Colin Edwards, Dom McCormack, John Kilgannon, Jon Hitchen, Jonathan Neill, Leigh Farr, Mike Denning, Sean Casey, Shaun Keenaghan and Tom Jackson all took part.
Days One and Two – Monday October 9 & Tuesday October 10It was a good start to the trip as all of the lads arrived at the Totally Wicked Stadium in good time, wearing the correct attire and only one or two of them having bags that were overweight, writes Ian Talbot.The blend of nerves and excitement was obvious, with a few teary eyes as we eventually jumped into the coach and off we set.The coach journey was over in a flash and after a minor visa hiccup at check-in all of the lads made their way safely and event free through the security checks.All except one person that is… slightly delayed after getting his visa sorted Brandon O’Neill’s hair had to be frisked by security staff! He also then had to pull out his iPad, laptop computer, speakers, headphones, hairdryer, straighteners and the kitchen sink to have his bag searched!Everyone boarded the flight in high spirits as the first leg to Hong Kong began.Some of the boys chose to play games, watch movies or listen to music to help pass the time.A couple of members of staff tried to have an early sleep to help adjust the body clocks but unfortunately this was rudely interrupted by Jack Welsby and Kiye Siyani, who had their earphones on and were unaware of their volume as happily, they loudly sang out the popular common tune ‘Agadoo’!The different characteristics of the individual players were open for all to see too. For example, as most of the lads competed with each other over a game of chess, Jamie Little was sat amusing himself doing a jigsaw and Josh Simm danced along as he enjoyed watching Mickey Mouse’s clubhouse.We haven’t even arrived yet and all the signs are there that once again, the lads are going to keep the staff well entertained.After a quick touchdown in Hong Kong the second leg was a wipeout with everyone getting some sleep in, in preparation for the challenges that lie ahead.Upon arrival in Sydney, we were straight on to the bus and over to Penrith, picking up pizza along the way.It was then an early night for all as the lads need their beauty sleep.
According to NCDOT Spokesperson Brian Rick, engineers will perform a walkthrough Thursday.If the inspection goes well they hope to have the road open at the end of the week.Rick said there is no official date until the walk through is completed.Related Article: Wilmington, Wrightsville Beach, PinPoint Restaurant nominated for ‘Southern Living’ contestRicks says if there are any problems they will assess them and go from there. The portion of River Road has been closed in November. (Photo: WWAY) NEW HANOVER COUNTY, NC (WWAY) — River Road in New Hanover County was scheduled to reopen in mid-May, but weather delayed construction.The new opening date was May 31, but now that likely won’t be the case.- Advertisement –
LelandLeland Police Department will be at 6 – 9 p.m. at Leland Municipal Park WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — National Night Out is usually held the first Tuesday of August as a way to promote relations between police and the communities they serve.Here are the places we know hosting events Tuesday evening.WilmingtonWilmington Police Department – Independence Mall in Wilmington from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. The officers from the Women on Patrol series will be on hand signing trading cards for fans. Carolina BeachCarolina Beach Police Department will be at the Carolina Beach Boardwalk from 6:30 – 8:30 p.m.
WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — Wilmington Police are searching for a man who allegedly hit multiple cars before driving into a house Monday morning.Police are looking for 27-year-old Terrance La-Drell Fisher. He is charged with hit and run leaving the scene with property damage, driving while license revoked and reckless driving.- Advertisement – WPD says Fisher, driving east on Dawson Street, hit a parked car around 3:30 a.m. Monday. The impact of the crash cause the parked car to be slammed into another parked car. No one was inside. Police says Fisher then lost control, drove through a nearby yard and crashed into the front porch of a house, tearing down the hand rails.Officers said a witness went to see what happened after hearing a loud crash and saw Fisher running away.The incident causes thousands of dollars worth of damage. Fisher’s vehicle and one of the parked cars were totaled.Related Article: VIDEO: Suspect wanted for crashing into parking deckAnyone with information is asked to contact WPD at (910) 343-3609 or use Text-A-Tip.
The city says the money will come from their fund balance. However, they expect the federal government to reimburse some of the money.There are currently 57 trucks picking up debris with construction debris pickup scheduled to start Monday.The total cost for storm response is expected to be much higher.Related Article: CSX still investigating train derailmentCity council will address that in the future. WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — Wilmington City Council has approved the first round of funding for Hurricane Florence recovery.$9 million is the initial amount for cleanup and most of it will go toward debris removal.- Advertisement –