In a three-day review of CLTS in Ganta recently, the participants, among whom were health workers, agreed, among other things, to continue the involvement of key stakeholders in the county, such as the superintendent, so as to flag up the issue of “open defecation.”The National Public Health Institute of Liberia (NPHIL), a division of Environmental and Occupational Health of the Ministry of Health and Social Welfare (MoHSW), is calling on local leaders across Liberia to get involved in the “Community Led Total Sanitation,” commonly known as CLTS program.In a three-day review of CLTS in Ganta recently, the participants, among whom were health workers, agreed, among other things, to continue the involvement of key stakeholders in the county, such as the superintendent, so as to flag up the issue of “open defecation.”They also agreed to take the CLTS idea to communities, through town hall meeting and strong public awareness, as a means of eradicating open defecation (ODF) which poses a serious health hazard.At the review meeting, nearly all the superintendents of Liberia were present, in order to ensure the Ministry of Internal Affairs (MIA) is committed to enforcing public health laws.According to Acting Deputy Director for Technical Services of the NPHIL, Mr. Amos F. Gbore, the CLTS is a national strategy that is intended to improve services of sanitation and hygiene in communities, especially rural ones.He said CLTS was first introduced in Liberia in 2009, and since then the country has been implementing CLTS and making significant progress in all of the 15 counties.“Some of the communities in which we have made progress, we have had those communities’ CLTS backing to open defecation,” he said.“Unless we do something to be able to re-energize the approach, we could be making a game and then losing it,” he added.Mr. Gbore said the review was designed to bring all stakeholders, including superintendents, the Ministry of Public Works (MoPW), Ministry of Health (MoH), the NPHIL as well as county health teams who are already carrying on the approach to design a way to improve the approach and also sustain the ODF status of communities that have become open defecation free.When the Daily Observer visited some communities in Nimba, it was established that most homes no longer using pit latrines. Rather, people use nearby bushes to defecate, as in the past.But one of the primary challenges community dwellers are faced with is the possibility of getting the needed materials to build newly designed latrines that use water.Mr. Gbore confirmed being aware of these challenges, but said they are working towards ensuring that materials are available in every community.“Open defecation is bad, because it leads to health hazards,” he said.“If flies sit on your toilet and come back and sit on your food, it certainly makes you sick from running stomach. So we want the community to take the CLTS program seriously so that every community can become open defecation free,” he concluded.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
The Civil Society Forum – an organisation comprising of several non-governmental organisations, including the private sector, trade unions and religious groups – on Monday said that the position adopted by the Head of State, President David Granger on the issue of Guyana Election’s Commission readiness for the constitutional mandated elections is “unacceptable”.In a statement to the media the Group said: “Giving GECOM effective power to determine when elections will be held is a position for which no constitutional support exists.”It said this “manoeuvre” revives the misgivings and insecurities generated by the controversial selection of the current Chair of GECOM, Justice James Patterson, who now has the casting vote on when elections will be held.The civil society organisation made it clear that the Constitution of Guyana mandates GECOM to be ready within 90 days, and there is no provision that allows the President to amend that provision as a pretext for not announcing a date for national elections.It explained that the main preparatory tasks for elections: prepare the voters’ list, arrange polling stations, train staff, print ballot papers, and administer polling day; are tasks which are all routine.“All of these technical issues are the responsibility of the Chief Elections Officer, rather than resting on the opinions of the Commissioners. Given the not-too-distant local elections, GECOM is more prepared than normal. The only task around which ‘unprepared’ is ever raised is the Voters’ List,” the organisation posited.The David Granger administration has not been moving with much urgency with regard to holding elections before the constitutional deadline of March 21.Instead, their respective GECOM Commissioners, including the Chair, have been advocating for house-to-house registration to sanitise the voters’ list, a process which would go well beyond the constitutional deadline.As such, the civil society group explained that house-to-house registration, while desirable, is not a necessity at this point.The Group contended that neither GECOM nor the President can set aside the Constitution to pursue their desire for house-to-house registration.Further, the civil society organisation debunked claims by the Head of State that some voters would be disenfranchised without the process of house-to-house registration.The organisation explained that unregistered persons can find their way to one of hundreds of GECOM offices around the country to get registered.Opposition-nominated GECOM Commissioners recently submitted a proposal of a work plan for the hosting of elections no later than April 29, but this was shot down by President Granger.Notably, not all members of the Civil Society Forum share these views. The Guyana Trades Union Congress (GTUC) – headed by Coretta McDonald – does not subscribe to that position.The members who are mounting pressure on President Granger to call a date for elections are: The Anglican Church of Guyana, the Guyana Human Rights Association, Movement Against Parking Meters, Inter-Religious Organisation, Guyana Presbyterian Church, Roman Catholic Church, Transparency Institute of Guyana Incorporated, Guyana Rastafarian Community, Guyana Agricultural and General Workers Union, Private Sector Commission, Red Thread, Aircraft Owners Association of Guyana, and RISE Guyana.
160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Police confirmed today that a man was arguing with his girlfriend Monday and drove through the guardrail of a railroad crossing and parked his car in the path of a speeding train, killing himself and critically injuring the woman, police said. Michelle Wright, 23, was identified as the woman who was in the car and miraculously survived the noontime crash Monday near Branford Street and San Fernando Road, where the couple’s car was waiting behind two other cars for a northbound Metrolink train to pass, police said. Wright suffered a possible concussion and facial cuts, and X-rays indicated she had no broken bones, said Los Angeles police Lt. George Rock, a detective supervisor at Foothill Division. “She was very fortunate,” Rock said. The man, 21-year-old Brandon Funches of South Los Angeles, drove his 2005 Dodge Magnum around the two cars, through the guardrail and parked it on the tracks so the passenger side was directly in the path of the approaching train, police said. Rock said that Wright told detectives from her hospital bed that she felt that “it was an attempt to kill both of them.” “He meant to kill her but he meant to kill himself, too. We are documenting it as an attempt murder suicide.” Metrolink spokeswoman Denise Tyrrell said none of the 132 people on the Antelope Valley-bound train was injured and the train did not derail.
13. David Ospina (goalkeeper) 11 11 11 6. Laurent Koscielny (centre back) 14. Theo Walcott (right wing) 11. Mesut Ozil (attacking midfield) Arsenal are out to stage a shock comeback against Barcelona tonight, kick off 19:45 GMT, in the last 16 of the Champions League – and it’s live on talkSPORT.Luis Enrique’s men won the first-leg 2-0 at the Emirates, giving their Premier League opponents a mountain to climb at the Camp Nou if they are to seal progression.Defeat to Manchester United, Swansea City and an exit in the FA cup at the hands of Watford all followed the loss to Barca, in what has predictably been a period full of criticism to both Arsenal and Arsene Wenger.While this season has screamed déjà vu for the Gunners, the season is far from over – and there would be few better ways to silence doubters than a surprise victory over the La Liga giants.But who might Wenger call upon for such a clash? Will Danny Welbeck get the nod ahead of the underperforming Olivier Giroud?Take a look at talkSPORT’s predicted Arsenal line up v Barcelona by viewing the slideshow above. 11 11 34. Francis Coquelin (centre midfield) 11 17. Alexis Sanchez (left wing) 11 11 23. Danny Welbeck (striker) 4. Per Mertesacker (centre back) – check out the full line up, in squad number order, by clicking the arrow above 11 11 24. Hector Bellerin (right back) 11 18. Nacho Monreal (left back) 35. Mohamed Elneny (centre midfield)
Here’s a round-up of all the top football headlines and transfer-related gossip from Tuesday’s newspapers and online… The biggest market value losers in 2019, including Bale and ex-Liverpool star Tony Cascarino backs Everton to sign two strikers for Carlo Ancelotti moving on Arsenal transfer news LIVE: Ndidi bid, targets named, Ozil is ‘skiving little git’ 3 Kasper Schmeichel starred for Denmark at the World Cup this summer 3 Wales international Harry Wilson is wanted by Rangers and Celtic Huddersfield are also are targeting Leicester’s Nigerian striker Ahmed Musa. and Hertha Berlin and Germany left-back Marvin Plattenhardt. (Daily Mirror)West Brom goalkeeper Ben Foster is on the verge of a £2.5m move to Watford – FULL STORYRB Leipzig are hoping to beat Manchester United to the signing of Nottingham Forest’s 16-year-old English left-back Matthew Bondswell. (Daily Mail) Latest transfer gossip on talkSPORT.com Top nine Premier League free transfers of the decade Man United joined by three other clubs in race for Erling Haaland Where every Premier League club needs to strengthen in January Cavani ‘agrees’ to join new club and will complete free transfer next summer Kevin De Bruyne ‘loves Man City and wants to keep winning’, reveals father targets targets LIVING THE DREAM New Rangers manager Steven Gerrard and Celtic boss Brendan Rodgers are going head-to-head to sign Wales winger Harry Wilson, 21, from their former club Liverpool. (The Sun)Manchester City’s move for Napoli midfielder Jorginho may have edged closer, after the 26-year-old was left off the Serie A club’s list for a pre-season training camp – FULL STORYGianluigi Buffon is expected to sign a two-year deal with Paris Saint-Germain this weekend, after the 40-year-old Italy legend’s Juventus departure. (L’Equipe)Former Watford boss Quique Sanchez Flores has emerged as a leading contender for the Spain job after Julen Lopetegui was sacked on the eve of the World Cup for joining Real Madrid. (AS)Daley Blind has been told he will have to take a pay cut if he leaves Manchester United to rejoin Ajax – FULL STORY Premier League duo Huddersfield and Wolves are both interested in Middlesbrough’s Spanish winger Adama Traore, 22, who has an £18m release clause. (The Sun) RANKED IN DEMAND LATEST REVEALED 3 Italian champions Juventus have reportedly opened talks with Real Madrid over a stunning deal to sign Cristiano Ronaldo this summer. (Marca)Meanwhile, it is claimed Juve could re-sign Alvaro Morata, with Chelsea ready to open talks over a possible swap deal in exchange for Gonzalo Higuain. (Gazzetta dello Sport)Chelsea will demand €80m (£70.8m) for Brazil forward Willian this summer, with Barcelona and Manchester United linked with an interest – FULL STORYThe Blues will look to sign Denmark goalkeeper Kasper Schmeichel from Leicester City if they sell Thibaut Courtois and miss out on No.1 target, Roma’s Brazilian glovesman Alisson. (Sky Sports) Transfer rumours paper review new Here are the latest talkSPORT.com transfer headlines…Paulinho set to leave Barcelona after unnamed team make offer for Brazil midfielderThibaut Courtois hints at Chelsea exit amid Real Madrid transfer interestBayern Munich respond to reports of ‘talks’ with Manchester United’s Anthony MartialChelsea youngster Isaac Christie-Davies becomes Liverpool’s third signing of the summer Wolves want Colombia World Cup star Juan Quintero
Donegal All Ireland star Rory Kavanagh and Finn Harps players Kevin McHugh and Ciaran Gallagher have promised some ‘model’ behaviour to raise funds for Rape Crisis Centre.The players will line out for the Donegal Sexual Abuse & Rape Crisis Centre who will hold a Fashion Show in Station House Hotel on Wednesday 21st November 2012 to raise vital funds for the Service.Shops showcased at the event include Watson Menswear, Claire’s Clothing, Elites Brides, Marks & Spencers, Paco and White Rabbit with hairstyles by Patrick Gildea. Highland Radio’s Paddy Friel will compare along side Chamber of Commerce, Digital Marketer Emma Boylan for what promises to be a thrilling night!Tickets priced €10 and are available from the Centre or at the door on the night. Raffle & prize for best dressed male & female. Wine reception @ 8.00pm, show starts 8.30pm. TOP DONEGAL SPORTSTARS LINE UP IN AID OF THE DONEGAL RAPE CRISIS CENTRE was last modified: November 15th, 2012 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:fashion showRape Crisis Centre
Sinn Féin Justice Spokesperson, Pádraig Mac Lochlainn has called on the Government to amend the terms of reference of the Fennelly Commission, as the current terms of reference prevent the examination of allegations of bugging of conversations in some Garda stations by Gardaí.Deputy Padraig Mac LochlainnResponding to the revelations which were published in the Sunday Business Post today, Deputy Mac Lochlainn said it is clear that the Government must amend the terms of reference of the Fennelly Commission.“It would be farcical for the Commission to only examine tapes of recorded phone conversations at some Garda stations and not examine allegations of bugging at Garda stations. “This latest development demonstrates again the problems with the Commission, from the decision by the Government to instigate the Commission and its terms of reference in an environment of political panic, to the outrageous length of time it has taken for the public to learn the Commission’s findings on the circumstances leading to the sudden retirement of the Garda Commissioner, Martin Callinan.“It is long past time that the Fennelly Commission’s interim report on those circumstances was published.”FENNELLY COMMISSION TERMS OF REFERENCE NEED AMENDING – MacLOCHALINN was last modified: July 5th, 2015 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
Click here if you’re unable to view the photo gallery on your mobile device. Unfortunately for both Jimmy Garoppolo and Jameis Winston, the at-times-maligned quarterbacks provided some ammunition for their critics in the season opener on Sunday.They were each partially responsible for the sloppiness that dominated much of the action at Raymond James Stadium as both Garoppolo and Winston each threw pick-sixes in the 49ers’ 31-17 victory.Garoppolo may have turned in an uneven performance — he …
2 Febuary 2011 South Africa’s Human Development Index (HDI) – a standard measure of determining whether a country is developed, developing or underdeveloped – is continuing on an upward trend that started in 2007 following a decade-long decline, according to the SA Institute of Race Relations. The index combines measurements of life expectancy, literacy, educational attainment and gross domestic product (GDP) per capita for countries worldwide. “This upward trend looks set to continue, which means that South Africa should expect further rises in its HDI, barring any negative changes in educational attainment or GDP per capita,” SA Institute of Race Relations researcher Thuthukani Ndebele said last week.1990-2005: Aids pandemic takes its toll Ndebele said it showed a decline in South Africa between 1990 and 2005 because of a dramatic drop in life expectancy due to the HIV/Aids pandemic. The index has been on an upward trend in the country since 2007. South Africa’s HDI was 0.658 in 1980 – the height of apartheid – rising steadily to 0.698 in 1990. By 2005, however, it had decreased to 0.678, which was worse than its 1985 level, the institute said. United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) data shows South Africa’s HDI rose again to 0.683 in 2007, according to the annual 2009/10 South Africa Survey published by the institute. “Updated figures from the UNDP show that the upward trend continued into 2010,” the institute said.Life expectancy on the increase Life expectancy for South African men increased between 2005 and 2007, from 50.3 years to 51.4 years, Statistics South Africa data showed. Women’s life expectancy increased from 52.6 years in 2005 to 53.4 years in 2007. “This increase in life expectancy between 2005 and 2007 accounts for the increase in South Africa’s HDI,” Ndebele said. “By 2010, life expectancy for men was 53.3 years, and for women it was 55.2 years. “This shows the increasingly positive effect of the government’s roll-out of antiretroviral treatment for people living with HIV/Aids.” Sapa