Scunthorpe scramble late 2-2 draw with Rotherham in League One play-off

Category dfpxafyi

first_imgFootball League League Two Exeter City Share on Twitter Share on Pinterest news Cameron McGeehan picked a good time to score his first Scunthorpe goal as his late leveller forced a 2-2 draw with Rotherham in their League One play-off semi-final first leg at Glanford Park.Substitute Joe Newell’s goal 58 seconds after coming on looked like giving the Millers the advantage but McGeehan, on loan from Barnsley, bundled home from close range in the 88th minute.Rotherham had twice led after Jon Taylor’s early goal was cancelled out barely a minute later by a Michael Ihikewe own goal, but they will still be happy with the result and will be favourites to progress to Wembley when they host the second leg on Wednesday night. McGeehan’s late intervention does mean, though, that Iron remain undefeated under caretaker manager Nick Daws since taking over from Graham Alexander in March. Share on LinkedIn The Observer League One Cameron Jerome header gives Derby slender advantage over Fulham Scunthorpecenter_img Read more Lincoln Rotherham Share on Messenger Share on WhatsApp “If you’d have given me a draw before the game I would have been happy with that,” the Rotherham manager, Paul Warne, said. “To come away from here 2-1 up would have been a great result but I can’t be greedy. Scunny played well, they are a great side so to come here and match them on their own turf is good and we can take credit for that.”Daws said: “I know we can be better, we can pass the ball better. We attacked with vigour and zest but not consistently enough. What I have seen gives me enough confidence we can go to Rotherham and get a result.”In League Two, Lincoln and Exeter could not be separated as they fought out a tense 0-0 draw in the first leg of their semi-final.Matt Rhead went closest for the Imps at Sincil Bank, hitting the bar with a header early in the second half. That chance came amid Lincoln’s best spell of the game which saw Matt Green denied twice by Exeter keeper Christy Pym.The Grecians’ best chances fell to striker Jayden Stockley, who was denied by keeper Ryan Allsop and then blazed over just before the break. The result sets up an intriguing second leg in Devon on Thursday night.Marc McNulty’s controversial late penalty earned Coventry a 1-1 draw at home to Notts County in the other semi-final, after Jonathan Forte tapped home the opener for the visitors four minutes after half-time. Three minutes from time Matt Tootle was punished for a seemingly innocuous challenge on Tom Bayliss and McNulty kept his cool. Share via Email Reuse this content Topics Share on Facebooklast_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *